Zoom! Zoom! Zoom!
Technology is flowing full steam ahead. With that, being in quarantine has forced creativity to sore at an all time high in most households, especially those with young children. Although, this is a “different” time, innovative interactions are taking place for our youngest learners.
If you are an educator or a parent that is looking for creative ways to excite your preschooler while Zoom video calling, this is for you!
Here are 20 Ideas When on Zoom With Your Preschoolers:
1. Virtual Hide and Seek Around the House- Have your preschooler give you clues where they have chosen to hide. Make sure mom or dad is supervising to ensure safe hiding places are happening
2. Cooking with My Teacher– This is a great way to talk about sequence (First, Next, Then, and Last) when cooking! “What are you mixing together first?”
3. Drawing Together/Free Art
4. Virtual Story time
5. Letter Activity (Flash cards)– Show flash cards on the screen and pause for student to respond. Creating online flash cards and using a split screen such as Flip Grid is another option.
6. Grocery shopping with my Teacher- Schedule a time to Zoom while the student is grocery shopping with parents. Practice naming some of the items you see in the store
7. Virtual Circle Time with Friends
8. Show and Tell- This can include favorite toys, household pets, drawings, etc
9. Practice Counting Together
10. Practice ABC’s Song
11. Collect Rocks and Plants from outside and show them off
12. Gardening with my mom/dad and teacher- Schedule a Zoom and plan for your student and parent(s) to plant flowers or vegetables
13. Practice lacing shoe strings
14. Talk about why people are wearing masks
15. Encourage healthy habits– If your preschooler says they need to use the restroom or sneezing, be sure to encourage healthy habits, even virtually
16. Playlist Sing-A-Long
17. Have Your Preschooler Showcase their skills- “Hop on One Foot! Hold Your Left Arm in the Air!”
18. Eat Lunch Together- Schedule a Zoom during your students lunch time and chat it up
19. Nature Walk in Backyard
20. Scavenger Hunt Around the House- Provide pictures and names of safe items that may be in your preschoolers home like “Window,” “Light,” and “Sock”
While these aren’t all sure signs that your preschooler will stay engaged during the entire Zoom video call, these are great learning and interactive opportunities!