When it starts to rain, typically, the first instinct is to run and take cover inside. However, after reading this today, you may change your mind. This is because you will learn the health benefits of going out into the rain.
1. The air is purer.
After a heavy rainfall, the air is purer because as raindrops fall through the atmosphere, they have the ability to attract hundreds of particles of pollutants like dander, soot, sulfates and bacteria before hitting the ground.
2. Rain is good for your hair and skin.
Rain water is high in alkaline which is good for your hair and skin and does not contain harmful minerals. High levels of humidity in the air help keep your skin fresh.
3. Walks in the rain burn more calories and build more muscles.
Much like walks on the beach, walking or running in muddier surfaces forces you to use more muscle strength to move your legs and feet.
4. Chemicals released in the rain are stress reducing.
When water molecules crash together, as they do in falling rain, they create negative ions. Some researchers believe when these negative ions are inhaled, they create a chemical reaction that can reduce stress and anxiety. Read more on The Pyschology of Rain by clicking the link.
5. Running in the rain can increase metabolism and performance.
When performing any kind of exercise, your body’s temperature tends to increase, if you are working out in colder temperatures, the environment is helping cool your body and maintain a more stable temperature. This allows you to work harder for longer due to a lesser risk of overheating. As always, consult your Physician before trying a now workout regime.
6. Boost Your Immune System
This is done by exposing yourself to various different temperatures and life outside of the house. As a result, you will develop a stronger immune system for the future.
7. Connect with Nature
This is another way to connect with nature and it’s elements. Typically, we are indoors when it rains. It is a nice concept to embrace all of nature’s elements.
Read more here
Tips to Successfully Run in The Rain
1. Stay safe and inside if it is a severe storm or produces thunder, lightening, hail or tornadoes.
2. Dress appropriately in rain gear that will keep you somewhat dry. The goal is to enjoy the rain but not develop hypothermia or any other related illness.
3. Seal off electronics such as your iPhone or watch in a waterproof case.